Enjoy a Canary Islands holiday catered to your personal tastes
If you are looking for beautiful beaches, year-round sunshine and warm temperatures a holiday in the Canary Islands is the perfect choice for you. But which one of the seven Canary Islands is the best holiday destination for you? Gran Canaria, Fuerteventura, Tenerife, Lanzarote, La Gomera, La Palma or El Hierro? You may also ask yourself which is the cheapest canary island to visit? We got all the info you need, to enjoy a perfect beach holiday, a relaxed last minute trip and more!
Find the best deals for the Canary Islands
Which Canary Island is the best and cheapest to visit?
You can find cheap hotels and acitvities on every Canary Island. On some islands you can save more money than on others because you can simply spend a lot of time in the nature, especially the smaller ones. On the other hand, there are often more cheap flights with low-coast airlines to bigger islands such as Gran Canaria or Tenerife. But of course you can't say this in general. Everybody has other preferences and every island has different highlights to offer.
These are some of the main sights and differences between the Canary islands:
Tenerife: the biggest Canary Island is one of the most diverse ones. Here you find for example historic centres, beaches, rural farmlands, national parks and the highest mountain in Spain - the Mount Teide. You can do a lot of acitivities for free (e.g. hiking) to save money in your Tenerife holiday.
- Gran Canaria: just like Tenerife you can find almost everything on Gran Canaria - from cheap beach holiday to shopping or party
- Fuerteventura: this is the perfect Canary Island for you if you love beautiful miles long beaches and water sports
- Lanzarote: very different from Tenerife or Gran Canaria. Lanzarote has lots of crater landscapes and most of the beaches have black sand.
- La Gomera: here you can escape the crowds and embrace nature and La Gomera's wild scenery. If you want beach and party, you better travel to Gran Canaria or Tenerife.
- La Palma: this is a hiking paradise and for everyone who is looking for rest and relaxation
- El Hierro: the smallest and most original of the Canary Islands with unique landscapes. Just the right island for nature lovers and mass tourism avoiders.
What islands belong to the Canaries?
The islands of the Canaries are:
- Gran Canaria
- La Gomera
- La Palma
- El Hierro
Holidays on the Canaries with friends
If your main goal is an unforgettable break with mates spent sunning yourselves by day and partying by night, the larger islands of Tenerife, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote and Fuerteventura are sure to fit the bill. Tenerife is ideal for water sports such as scuba diving, and Los Cristianos here is one of the Canaries' best beaches. There's even a Monkey Park nearby for up-close experiences with the cheeky residents. You'll find plenty of opportunities for drives around the gorgeous scenery on the island.
What about visiting the Canary Islands as a family?
Of course, any of the islands could easily suit a family trip, as you need only head to the quieter beaches anywhere in the Canaries for kid-friendly coastlines. Fuerteventura is well known for water parks such as Acua, at the town of Corralejo. Meanwhile, teenagers and parents who love active holidays can make use of the superb windsurfing conditions. Lanzarote boasts the mighty Timanfaya Natural Park, which is a volcanic wonderland, among other natural marvels.
Are the Canary Islands good for romantic breaks?
Most definitely. On Canary Islands holidays, hit the town and make the most of the delicious local food, such as sancocho (sea bass stew) and conejo (rabbit), washed down with some cocktails before a night of dancing. Head to the larger islands such as Tenerife and Gran Canaria for excellent bars, clubs and restaurants. El Hierro is the smallest of the Canaries, and easily the most tranquil. Take gentle walks around the gorgeous rocky coast known as Las Playas, or admire the pageant of tropical fish with unique diving opportunities.
What else can a visitor expect on a Canary Islands holiday?
- Annual temperatures in the 20s°C on average, even in the middle of winter, reaching the 30s°C in summer.
- Many of the greatest views and natural beauty in Europe, such as atop El Teide mountain (at Tenerife), Spain's highest.
- Gorgeous Spanish architecture, authentic markets and an abundance of superb cafés and restaurants.
- Authentic seafood and tapas restaurants, as well as home comforts at British-style cafés in the larger towns.
- A fantastic selection of local wines to discover. Also visit the rum factories on Gran Canaria.
- See more of the coastlines on boat cruises, including the chance to watch dolphins and whales.
Check out even more deals for the Canary Islands!
|Popular Destinations in Europe||Types of Holidays||City breaks||Popular Destinations Worldwide||Other interesting pages|