Enjoy a Canary Islands holiday catered to your personal tastes
When planning Canary Islands holidays, you'll immediately picture white sand beaches, gorgeous weather, and perhaps thrilling water sports or nights on the town. Choose between the bustling coastlines and vibrant city centres on Tenerife and Lanzarote to the quiet seclusion of El Hierro and everything in between.
Where can I go on a Canary Islands holiday?
The islands of the Canaries are:
- Gran Canaria
- La Gomera
- La Palma
- El Hierro
Which are the best islands for visiting with friends?
If your main goal is an unforgettable break with mates spent sunning yourselves by day and partying by night, the larger islands of Tenerife, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote and Fuerteventura are sure to fit the bill. Tenerife is ideal for water sports such as scuba diving, and Los Cristianos here is one of the Canaries' best beaches. There's even a Monkey Park nearby for up-close experiences with the cheeky residents. You'll find plenty of opportunities for drives around the gorgeous scenery on the island.
What about visiting the Canary Islands as a family?
Of course, any of the islands could easily suit a family trip, as you need only head to the quieter beaches anywhere in the Canaries for kid-friendly coastlines. Fuerteventura is well known for water parks such as Acua, at the town of Corralejo. Meanwhile, teenagers and parents who love active holidays can make use of the superb windsurfing conditions. Lanzarote boasts the mighty Timanfaya Natural Park, which is a volcanic wonderland, among other natural marvels.
Are the Canary Islands good for romantic breaks?
Most definitely. On Canary Islands holidays, hit the town and make the most of the delicious local food, such as sancocho (sea bass stew) and conejo (rabbit), washed down with some cocktails before a night of dancing. Head to the larger islands such as Tenerife and Gran Canaria for excellent bars, clubs and restaurants. El Hierro is the smallest of the Canaries, and easily the most tranquil. Take gentle walks around the gorgeous rocky coast known as Las Playas, or admire the pageant of tropical fish with unique diving opportunities.
What else can a visitor expect on a Canary Islands holiday?
- Annual temperatures in the 20s°C on average, even in the middle of winter, reaching the 30s°C in summer.
- Many of the greatest views and natural beauty in Europe, such as atop El Teide mountain (at Tenerife), Spain's highest.
- Gorgeous Spanish architecture, authentic markets and an abundance of superb cafés and restaurants.
- Authentic seafood and tapas restaurants, as well as home comforts at British-style cafés in the larger towns.
- A fantastic selection of local wines to discover. Also visit the rum factories on Gran Canaria.
- See more of the coastlines on boat cruises, including the chance to watch dolphins and whales.