Australia is generally known for it's sun soaked beaches, deadly spiders and laid-back surfing culture. However, there's way more to the land down under than you'd think! Check out these 25 crazy facts about Aussie land below!
1. McDonald's in Australia is called 'Macca's'.
2. Moomba, a free festival in Melbourne, means 'up your bum' in several Aboriginal languages.
3. Brisbane hosts the annual world championships of cockroach racing.
4. Australia has 3.3 times more sheep than people.
5. The Great Barrier Reef is the planet's largest living structure. It even has it's own postbox.
6. An Australian man once attempted to sell New Zealand on eBay.
7. It would take 27 years to visit one beach every day in Australia.
8. Saudi Arabia imports camels from Australia for meat production.
9. There are no native animals with hooves.
10. Australia has the highest electricity prices worldwide.
11. Melbourne is considered the sports capital of the world.
12. Australia is one of the only countries that eats the animal on their coat of arms.
13. Melbourne has the world's largest Greek population outside of Athens.
14. There is currently a chlamydia outbreak among koalas in Australia, which has resulted in a 15% drop in koala populations.
15. The male platypus has deadly venom that can kill a small dog.
16. European immigrants in Australia drank more alcohol per capita than any other society in history.
17. Wombat droppings are cube shaped, which allows them to mark their territory.
18. In Australia, it is illegal to walk on the right-hand side of a footpath.
19. The average Australian drinks 96 litres of beer a year.
20.The Australian Alps receives more snowfall than Switzerland.
21. Tasmania has the cleanest air in the world.
22. The Box Jellyfish has killed more people in Australia than crocodiles, sharks and stonefish.
23. Wallabies have been caught getting high after breaking into opium crops. They then run around and make what look like crop circles.
24. In Australia, a pepper is called a capsicum, a duvet is a doona, courgette is a zucchini and an aubergine is an eggplant.
25. Australia's first police force was once composed of the best behaved convicts.
So there you have it! Check out our current Australia deals below to experience the Aussie craziness for yourself!