As most of our mateys will know, we woke today with the news that lockdown 3 commenced at midnight. Much like lockdown 1 in March, this time around the rules are strict. Schools and all non-essential businesses are closing and non-essential travel is also off the cards until February half term at least.
A review of this current lockdown will be made as February half term arrives.
What does that mean for holidays booked in the next 6 weeks?
Due to the new lockdown rules both staycations and international holidays will either be cancelled or amended. You will need to approach your original point of purchase to discuss your options. Please be aware that there will be a lot of people trying to get through so phone lines and online chat services will be extremely busy.
If you have purchased flights and hotel separately, you will need to talk to airlines and hotels directly. In this instance if no refund is offered, you may have to claim through your travel insurance.
UK residents currently abroad do not need to return home immediately. However, you should check with your airline or travel operator on arrangements for returning.
Foreign nationals are subject to the 'Stay at Home' regulations. You should not travel abroad unless it is permitted. This means you must not go on holiday.
If you are visiting the UK, you may return home. You should check whether there are any restrictions in place at your destination.
What can I do during lockdown 3?
- Shop for basic necessities for you or a vulnerable person
- Go to work, or provide voluntary/ charity services, if you cannot do so from home
- Exercise with your household or one other person (once a day for up to an hour) and you should not travel outside your local area.
- meet your support bubble or childcare bubble where necessary, but only if you are legally permitted to form one
- Seek medical assistance (including picking up prescriptions & pharmaceuticals) or avoid injury, illness or escape risk of harm (including domestic abuse)
- Attend education or childcare - for those eligible (vulnerable children or those of key workers)