The best holiday destinations: Not sure where to go travelling? Get some inspiration here!
Want to travel but not sure where to start? Unsure of the best holiday destinations for travellers on a budget? Keen to whet your appetite with our ultimate list of the best holiday destinations?
Prepare to be wowed with endless holiday ideas and travel destinations you might not have considered...Content
- Trip types
- Super popular backpacker destinations
- Off the beaten path countries
- Areas of Natural Beauty
Heading out on an adventure can be daunting, there is so much choice and if your not careful you can end up spending a fortune on flights before you have even arrived! Your best bet is to be flexible and keep an eye out for deals online which can help you get where you want to go! In general, the more flexible and impulsive you can be, the more money you will save. Last minute travel is a great idea as it can save you a lot of money.
When choosing your travel destination, ask yourself "Why do I want to travel, what would be the best holiday destinations for me?" Do you want to go to crazy backpacker parties or sun yourself on the beach? Do you want to experience new cultures and foods? Is there a particular country or maybe a certain site; the Taj Mahal, the pyramids of Egypt, the mountains of Nepal, that you have always wanted to see? You can also trawl the internet to get more information on last minute travel to exotic countries or to get your creative juices flowing with endless lists of holiday ideas. The best holiday destinations for adventure are very different to the best holiday destinations for relaxing although it is possible to find a happy medium; do some research online before you decide on the best holiday destinations for the kind of trip you want.
So where should you travel first? Simple – the country you have always wanted to go to! If you only have a short period of time maybe consider going to a good introduction country such as Thailand, Costa Rica or Sri Lanka. If going on a longer trip make sure to mix your travelling up a bit; go somewhere fun and easy such as South East Asia, Central America or Australia and ALSO go somewhere that will challenge you such as India, The Middle East or East Africa. Do not be put off by ‘popular’ holiday destinations like Thailand, sure they are crowded but they are popular for a reason! That said, do not be afraid to properly explore the world and head to new and exciting, less conventional, travel destinations such as Yemen, Iran, Zimbabwe or Papua New Guinea.
- Easy Peasy: (great times and not a lot to worry about!) Thailand, Phillipines, Turkey, Train and hostel your way through Europe or Japan, Nepal, New Zealand, South Africa, Guatemala and Greece.
- Culture: (and friendly locals) Iran, Ghana, Bolivia, Georgia, Ethiopia, Mali, North Vietnam, Laos and Phillipines.
- Religion: (some ‘world centers’) Rome, Israel, Punjab or Varanassi in India, Labella in the Ethiopian highlands, Nepal, Tibet, Myanmar.
- Overlanding: (famous routes) Istanbul – Cairo, Mexico City – Panama City, London – Hong Kong (via the Trans Mongolian Railway), London – Istanbul, London – Morocco, London – Mongolia, Bangkok – Bali and of course Istanbul – Kathmandu. You can do these routes in a car yourself, by local transport or by hitching.
- Build a sandcastle: (destinations with a lot of sand) Mozambique, Cuba, Thailand, Phillipines, Australia, South Africa, Turkey, Greece, Goa in India, Hondorus and Brazil.
- Great intro countries: (safe and compact for those short on time) Guatemala, Costa Rica, Gambia, Israel and Jordan, Thailand and Cambodia, New Zealand, Goa in India, Sri Lanka, Uganda.
- Get high: (in the mountains!) Kyrgyztan, Tajikistan, Chile, Bolivia, Nepal, Tibet, Kashmir and Ladakh in India.
- Volunteer: (save the world, man!) Volunteering is a fantastic way to travel the world whilst doing good, you can also save a lot of money if you volunteer in exchange for food and accommodation. When volunteering it is very important to pick your project and travel destination carefully.
- Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam and the Phillipines
- Guatemala and Mexico
- Israel and Jordan
- South Africa
- Turkey and Greece
- India, Nepal and Sri Lanka
- Brazil, Bolivia and Argentina
- New Zealand and Australia
- Anywhere in the Middle East especially Yemen and Iran
- Papau New Guinea
- Ethiopia, Uganda, Ghana and Benin
- Mozambique, Cameroon and Zimbabwe
- Eastern European countries including Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Macedonia and Georgia
- Central Asian countries including Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia and Kazakhstan
- North Korea (yes, it is possible!)
- Northern Pakistan
- Andaman islands in India
- Colombia and Venezuela
- Pretty much all major mountain ranges, especially the Alps and the Himalayas
- Stunning islands including Jamaica, Fraser Island in Oz and most of the Caribbean
- The Caucasus
- The USA’s national parks
- Great Barrier Reef in Australia
- Patagonia in South America
- Chile and the Bolivian Salt Flats
- Iguazu falls
- Galapagos islands
- Colombian coast
- Amazon Rainforest
- Sahara desert in Morocco
- Lake Baikal in Russia
- Uluru rock in Australia
So, there you go pirates, plenty of awesome holiday ideas so you can start planning your own adventure! Remember, almost every adventure starts with a flight so keep an eye on our blog for some kick ass flight deals and be sure to get in quick whenever we post them so you can catch some truly cheap flights and start your adventure in style! Last minute travel can save you a fortune so keep an open mind when drawing up a short list of the best holiday destinations for the kind of trip you are interested in.
When planning your adventures and choosing your travel destinations, make sure to do some research on Trip Advisor and travel blogs online.