Travelling to the EU after 1 January -- how might your holiday be affected

A deal from , 4. Dec. 2020 5:34 pm

On the 1st of January 2021, travelling to the EU for British passport holders is going to change, Pirates. No, really this time.

If you're planning on a holiday to the European Union in 2021 and beyond, we've put together a handy list of things to look out for so things go as smoothy as possible:

After 1 January 2021:

  • Check your passport -- from 1 January, you'll need at least six months left on it and it must have been issued within the last 10 years (this doesn't apply to travelling to the Republic of Ireland)
  • Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will probably not be valid any more so make sure you get travel insurance or you might up end with a nasty hospital bill
  • Rules around mobile roaming are changing and your mobile provider may charge you more for calls or data when abroad. As things stand, none of the major operators plan on bringing back charges but this of course could change
  • You may require extra documents to drive on the continent (like an International Driving Permit - you may need more than one depending on where you are visiting. Each permit costs £5.50 and is available from certain branches of the Post Office). Also, you may need a Green Card to prove you have insurance and a GB sticker on your car
  • You will not be able to use your existing pet passport to enter the EU as pet travel requirements will change. You should contact your vet at least 4 months prior to your travel

It's not just travelling to EU countries but all countries in the Schengen area that are affected: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

Travelling to the EU after 1 January -- how might your holiday be affected