Ahoy Pirates! Some of you may have noticed that we were at the ITB 2016 last week! The ITB Berlin (Internationale Tourismus-Börse Berlin) is the world's largest tourism trade show. A huge number of countries are represented at the fair, as well as companies including airlines,hotels, tourist boards, tour operators, system providers, and car rental companies.
Of course we didn't want to miss this event, so we dropped the anchor of our awesome Pirate ship and checked out the fair with some of our Pirates on board. Here's what we found out!
When they say "Largest" they mean it: 26 halls on the Berlin Exhibition Grounds, with a floor space of around 150,000 square metres. More than 180 countries from around the world represented at this event by some 10,000 exhibitors. This all meant even to get a brief overview of the whole event you needed at least 2 hours to walk round!
1. Top insider tips from Brazil: The Iguazu falls are approximately 20m taller than the Niagara falls. They can be viewed from both Argentina and Brazil. From Brazil you can take a helicopter tour, from Argentina not!
Often cited as one of the most beautiful beaches on the planet is the Alter do Chão Beach. It is not known as the Brazilian Caribbean by chance. Besides enjoying its beauty whilst there, take the oppurtunity to visit other magical places nearby such as the Tapajós National Forest and Ponta do Cururu, where you can see fresh water dolphins.
For Dunes and lakes of rare beauty check out the Lençóis Maranhenses National Park.
2. Francisco, an expert for Cancun, had us pining over sun and pristine beaches with his Mexico tips!
You can find more info on Cancun here
3. In Costa Rica visit the highest Volcano in Central America named "Poas".
Many beaches to choose from with both the Pacific and Caribbean coast- Sea is on average a balmy 25 degrees!
Go wild and meet monkeys and parrots in Park Nacional Manuel Antonio.
4. Daniel gave us his personal tips regarding St. Paddy's day and Dublin in general: "You can celebrate our National festival well in many cities around the world but for the true Paddy’s day experience come to Dublin. It’s a 5 day festival there!"
Daniel's 3 Favourite things to do as a tourist in Dublin: Book of Kells , Natural History Museum, Grab a Sandwich and eat your lunch in St. Stephens Green
5. Ryan from Icelandair gave us some great advice on all things Iceland! For example the really cool stop-over-option that icelandair offers their customers. Fly to the US with icelandair and you can have a free stopover in Iceland of up to 7 days!
You can find more info on this here: #mystopover
And all Iceland tourism tips here.
7. WE HAVE THE BEST BOOTH!!! Well, almost! We were very proud to receive 2nd Best Exhibitor at ITB 2016 in the category Travel Organisation. Something to beat next year ;) Who’s joining us in 2017?!
Website: holidaypirates.com | Twitter: @Holidaypiraten | Snapchat: holidaypirates | Instagram: @Holidaypirates