Why holidays in France are a ticket to the good life
Holidays in France immediately bring to mind high-class culture, superb food, top shopping, and perhaps a beach or stunning countryside escape. From the world-famous landmarks in Paris to the sun-kissed coasts of the south, and vineyards, châteaux, and mountains in between, France is always a winner for a special holiday and one of the best travel destinations in Europe.
Check out our latest deals for holidays in France
Ideas for holidays in France
As Western Europe's largest country by area, France offers an incredible range of things to do. Take a look at a few options for special moments on holiday in France:
- Chic shopping on the Champs-Elysées in Paris
- A kiss with your loved one atop the Eiffel Tower
- An impressive concentration of Michelin-starred restaurants in Lyon
- Exploring the famous Old Port of Marseille
- Sipping cocktails on the beach beneath palm trees in Nice
- Fascinating history and gorgeous coastal views in Bayeux, Normandy
The best city break destinations on holiday in France
Paris and Lyon are two obvious options for city trips in France, but have you ever considered Toulouse, Montpellier, or Strasbourg? Toulouse sits beneath the splendid Pyrenees mountain range, and boasts architectural marvels including the 11th-century Basilique Saint-Sernin church. In Montpellier, enjoy an afternoon strolling in the warm southern sun as you explore the Jardin des Plantes botanical garden and sip coffee on the Promenade du Peyrou in the Old Town. Strasbourg is close to the German border and is one of Europe's main political centres. The Musée Historique is a fascinating look at the city's past, from medieval times to the creation of the EU.
The best beaches in France
The Mediterranean coast in the south is the hotspot for coastal breaks and sunny beach holidays in the country. Nice is a wonderful place to get some sun. Nearby is Cannes with its fabulous film festival in May and proximity to Monaco. You can even head a little further into Ventimiglia, a charming market town in Italy, for an exciting day trip destination. Many of the smaller towns and villages offer their own quiet charm for a holiday in France. Saint-Raphael has long been regarded as one of the most fashionable destinations in Europe, bringing to mind the glitz of 1960s movie star holidays. Alternatively, Brittany and the west coast in general offer a thrilling and picturesque setting for sailing enthusiasts. For something totally different, head to the island of Corsica, birthplace of Napoleon. It offers delicious seafood and dazzling sightseeing in its capital, Ajaccio.
Ideas for active trips in France
Break a sweat and see even more of France.
- Cycling through the forests of Bordeaux, or taking vineyard tours.
- World-class skiing atop the gorgeous peaks of Chamonix.
- Riding horses along William the Conqueror's Route in the picturesque Seine Valley.
- Hiking the Roya Valley in tranquil Provence.
- Taking in the breathtaking scenery as you play a few rounds of golf in Loire.
- Soaring through the Alps on a paragliding adventure.